Wednesday, March 25, 2009

New O-Lifting Personal Records

This week is a "Max Lift" week at Nor Cal Strength & Conditioning. We have been focusing on building up our "body strength" for the last few weeks. These lifts, (back squat, dead lift, and push press), are not designed to build "muscle" as much as they are to tone and increase our body's general athletic abilities. At 43, I certainly don't have any interest in trying to be a body builder, but I get excited seeing how far I have come since I first started working out there.

I never realized how physically weak I had become. I have already written about not being able to even do a single pushup when I first started. On Monday I set my personal record for the Back Squat at 275 lbs, and today I bested my previous dead lift record with a 375 lb lift.

I can't help it, that old competitive beast within me is now rearing its ugly head....because what's even more cool, is that I posted the highest lifts in both events so far. =) Everyone else can run circles around me doing everything else, but at least I can hold my head up high about topping this list, (well at least so long as Rob and Fraguso don't participate).

My weight has been holding steady still, so I am tweaking my diet a bit. Increasing protein, cutting back on the fruits. I thought the extra work outs would allow me a little more leeway, but apparently such thinking was only a pleasant delusion. I still have 4 months to go until the end of the 7 month paleo challenge, but there are a lot of people working very hard, so I need to really buckle down. See, sometimes being competitive can be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment