Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hello there

Up until high school, I was always fat, (the pc term then was "Husky", (I know this because the tag on my pants said so. Now mind you, I had about as perfect a childhood as one could ask for, so I am not saying this feeling sorry for myself. Its just the truthful beginning of my battle with weight. I played football, baseball and was on the swim team, but still I remained fat. Then something marvelous happened in the 8th grade. I grew almost 6 inches. Suddenly, instead of being short and fat, I was one of the tallest kids. Now mind you, I was not skinny, (I don't think I have ever qualified for that descriptor), but along with the height came some pretty broad shoulders, so I at least became proportional.
During HighSchool and my undergraduate years, I pretty much ate and drank whatever I wanted, and stayed right at 220 lbs. While that's a lot of weight for a 5'10" man, between my self-employment of cutting and splitting firewood, and my addiction to swimming, water skiing, and fencing, I maintained a high level of fitness and a 52' chest and a 32" waist.
Then I got married and acquired 2 kids with the wife. This necessitated working full-time during the week and going to law school at night.
Needless to say, the fencing, water skiing and working out in the forest stopped. Then my wife thankfully decided to quit smoking. Unfortunately, with the candy and snacks she had all over the house to help her kick the habit, I put on some 40 pounds with her. Then upon becoming an attorney, and opening my own office. I found myself sitting 12-14 hours a day behind a desk, in my car, at a computer, or in court.
Of course, I still ate pretty much whatever I wanted to, so I found that I kept having to have my suits let out.
Then one day I was rushing to court, and had to go up a flight of stairs. I found myself completely out of breath and had to ask the judge to trail the case while I got my breathing under control. So I decided right then to do something about it. A year later, after completely being unable to motivate myself, I finally hired a personal trainer, http://www.norcalsc.com/index.php


It came as such a shock to me. I found that I weighed 320 lbs, and could not do a single push-up. I had to cheat and go from my knees.
Luckily, Nicki and Rob, (my trainers), would not let me fail, and 18 months later, I have lost 40 lbs, and can now do a host of push ups, sit ups, body rows, etc.
The only problem is that I have not lost a single pound in the last 6 months. I am stuck, and until I drop some more weight, I am not going to be successful in getting that damn pull up back.
Then there is the doctor telling me my blood pressure is about 35 points high, and I am pre-diabetic. So in other words, I NEED TO LOSE MORE WEIGHT and reduce my starch and sugar intake.


So now my personal trainers, Rob and Nicki have challenged a group of us to try the diet they live on. It is called the Paleo Diet.
This is a HUGE change to my way of living and eating. I have been reading all I can, and trying to come up with ways to make this "lifestyle" more palatable to both myself and my wife, (yes I do the cooking). So I am hoping to use this blog to help myself, and others living the Paleo way, to come up with recipes, tips and shortcuts to help us all stay natural, fit and above all, healthy.


I also know that posting what I am eating, and the choices I am making are going to help me stay on track. So with thinking Slimming Thoughts.....here I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment