Saturday, January 10, 2009

My #1 way to avoid cheating

I have a history of cheating when on a diet. Normally, it is not because I simply can't resist a sugur rush, its because I'm hungery and I don't have anything "good" ready to eat. So, then the hunger wins out and I eat whatever is quick and available, (which is generally not low carb, and certainly not Paleo food). Also, I often times don't get home until 7pm or later during the week. This makes it hard to come home and get a full meal prepared. So I have been using my weekends to help prepare "fast paleo food" for the week, that I can then use as either the basis for a meal, or a quick snack.

I get most of our bulk food supplies from Costco, (food warehouse where you buy in bulk). One of our staples is the 6.5 lb bag of skinless, boneless, frozen chicken breasts. So last Saturday after going to Costco, I let an entire bag defrost. Then I made up a batch of the Wine-Terriyaki Marinade that I have already posted, and marinaded all of the breasts in it overnight in the resealable "ziplock" bag the breasts come in. Then on Sunday, I fired up the BBQ and grilled all of the breasts. That is what we had for dinner, (with a little salsa over the top). Then after dinner when the remaining 8 breasts had cooled, I divided them between 4 quart ziplock bags and refroze them. This way, I basically can take out a bag whenever I'm hungary, throw it in the microwave for 2:30 to 3:00 minutes, and will have a hot steaming, and something wholesome to eat.

I do the samething with the big 6 lb Costco Hamburger package. I will take the whole package, make up 20 or so patties, and bbq them. Whatever is left over gets frozen 2 patties to a quart ziplock bag. Remember to reheat in the ziplock bags, as this will prevent the meat from getting dried out.

1 comment: