Saturday, January 17, 2009

Doctor Update

I met with my Doc yesterday, and he was very pleased to hear that I was on the Paleo Diet, (well, after I explained to him what the Paleo Diet consisted of). His only concern with the diet was that due to my high cholesterol, that I should be careful with my intake of Pork and Beef, (as they tend to have the most cholesterol), and try to incorporate more lean fish. This may be difficult to do, however, for while I actually love seafood and fish, the mere smell of such causes my wife to get ill. So trying to cook them here at home is a little problematic. Therefore, I think Chicken/Turkey is going to have to take a larger roll in my diet, so I am aggressively looking for more and different ways to keep them from becoming boring. If any of you have any good "fowl" recipes, please post them in the comments. Thanks

The long and the short of it, however, is that my blood sugar was 130 on my fasting test. This is 5 pts above the diagnosis point for Diabeties. According to my doc, it takes two such tests, to confirm such diagnosis. So basically, his intent was to try and scare me into eating better and exercising more. He was quite pleased that I had already initiated such endeavors. He gave me the next set of testing orders, (including the ldl particle size test Rob wanted), and it is our plan to test me immediately after the Paleo Challenge ends to see where my numbers are at that point.

Somewhat related was a news report yesterday saying that researchers had found that ingesting "sugar" actually changes your body's chemistry for up to 15 days. Making it that much harder for your body to recover and properly process sugars. The report went on to state that repeated ingestion of large quantities of sugar, (whether in candy, baking items, etc.), can actually cause long term changes to your body's chemical reactions and may even effect changes at the genetic lvl, further retarding your body's ability to process sugar, thereby leading to increased chances of diabeties.

I did "binge" on New Years with some chocolate, so maybe that is why 7 days later my blood sugar was still high. Hopefully the Paleo Diet will help get this problem straightened out too.

Some good news, my blood pressure was back down to normal, without any blood pressure medicine this week. So we are holding off on any additional medicines to see if that trend continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment