Thursday, January 8, 2009

Wheat/Gluten Allergy/Intollerance

By the way, did I forget to mention that one month after my 40th birthday, I started having severe allergic reactions, (including 2 anaphalatic shock episodes), to an unknown food. While the allergists and doctor's could not find a cause and basically told me to get use to drooling on myself due to the high dosages of anti-histimines they put me on, my personal trainers again came to my rescue. They kept harping on me to go "Wheat Free", and provided me with a lot of documentation to back up their views. Did you know that Wheat is considered to be the most allergenic, (number of people having an allergic reaction to it), food in widespread consumption in the world? I sure didn't. So after the doctors couldn't seem to figure it out, I figured what did I have to lose.

I am happy to report that not only did all of the allergic reactions go away, but a whole host of other problems that I had been dealing with my entire life also disappeared, (frequent ear infections, gastrol-intestinal issues, repeated sinus infections, etc). Funny, but the doctors kept saying that it "couldn't be wheat", because they tested me for that allergy. Yet every time I accidently consumed some wheat from a hidden source, there I would go again. So finally they decided that maybe I had a Gluten Intollerance, rather than a real wheat allergy, (gluten is the protein in wheat). Either way, thanks again Rob and Nicki. I so much prefer life without antihistimines.

1 comment:

  1. I also have a wheat sensitivity. The reason the allergy test didn't show it is because it only shows true antibody allergies, not sensitivities. Mine messes up my gastrointestinal system. Not fun. Had no idea until we did an elimination diet with my infant son due to colic caused by same sensitivities.

    ReplyDelete